Sunday, April 7, 2013

Spring Potato Salad with Radishes, Asparagus and Capers

To say spring hasn't made its way in yet would be an understatement. But that doesn't mean your kitchen can't be ahead of the game. It's now Thanksgiving time in the Canadian Living Test Kitchen (there has been quite a lot of turkey, sides and desserts to develop and taste!) so I've been that much more eager to cook with fresh sunny products when I get back home.


For me, a vinaigrette-based potato salad loaded with veggies and colour is the best way to lighten up with the season. This one features baby kale leaves. If you haven't had these, I highly recommend them! These are more tender than adult kale leaves and a nice substitute for regular baby spinach or arugula -- they also hold up beautifully to dressing and don't really wilt or loose their shape which is nice for a make-ahead salad.

The real star of this dish, however, are radishes! When in my Parisian hometown, my mom and I often serve radishes as a simple, crunchy appetizer, enjoyed with a touch of butter and a little fleur de sel. I now love adding sliced radishes to salads - there's always something so pretty and quaint about a perfectly pink radish isn't there?
Spring Potato Salad
Serves 4

1/2 lb baby potatoes, boiled in salted water until tender, cooled and halved
12 asparagus spears, boiled for about 5 minutes until tender-crisp and cut in half
10 radishes, sliced
1 handful baby kale leaves
1 tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 ounces crumbled blue cheese

In large bowl, combine potatoes, asparagus, radishes, kale leaves, blue cheese and capers. In small bowl, whisk olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Drizzle dressing over potato salad and top with blue cheese. Enjoy!


14 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

My goodness that's a pretty click:-)
I need Spring now please.

OohLookBel said...

This is such a happy, healthy dish. And that reminds me, I bought a mandoline from Daiso (cheapo Japanese store) recently and it would be perfect for cutting nice, slim radish slices for a delicious salad like this =)

ThisGirlBlogs said...

Very pretty! :-)

Mr. & Mrs. P said...

What a beautiful dish!! Love the photos and colors!! Perfect for spring and summer

Mr. & Mrs. P
www.cristyandmichael.blogspot.com

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A beautiful salad! I bet it tastes wonderful too.

Cheers,

Rosa

Amy said...

Wow, what a beautiful Spring salad. I love the ingredients in them. I love kale, gotta hunt down those baby ones. They really look a lot more tender than the regular ones. ;)3349

Claudia said...

I have been bringing spring salads into my kitchen and shall bring this in also. We're under a winter storm watch (???) and if spring refuses to come outside - at least I can celebrate it inside!

Sara said...

So pretty...this looks super tasty and perfect for spring! I love potato salad :)

sewa mobil jakarta said...

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Choclette said...

That looks good and just what is needed after so much winter stodge, but winter seems not to want to lose it's grip here in the UK.

Deana Sidney said...

This is just a beautiful salad. I don't use radishes nearly enough... you inspire me to use them with this dish.

Dina said...

lovely spring salad!

Chocolate Shavings said...

deana sidney : They're so easy to prep too!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com said...

A perfect and crisp Spring salad -- I love the added capers here :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin